Tuesday, 1 October 2013
Tips to Help Your Family Get More Active
Here are some tips from the Canadian Living Blog on incorporating more exercise into your family routine.
Tips on how to incorporate more exercise into your children's lives:
• Keep your house stocked with items that promote activity, such as basketballs, soccer balls (or any type of ball), skipping ropes, Hula-Hoops, scooters, skateboards, a trampoline, bikes, in-line skates and, of course, all of the requisite safety equipment.
• Limit screen time – this includes time spent in front of both the TV and computer. And try to keep both out of your kids' bedrooms.
• Set up a badminton set in the backyard. It's a great introduction to tennis and other racquet sports, especially for younger kids.
• Give your kids outdoor chores – they love to help out and get dirty. Getting your kids gardening, raking, shovelling and carrying wood is a win-win situation: You get a break and your kids get some fresh air and exercise.
• Check out nearby yoga studios for kids' yoga classes. Yoga is a great activity for a rainy day. Don't have a studio nearby? A yoga mat and Pilates ball are all kids need to do their own indoor yoga class.
• Play outdoor games like Frisbee, tag and hide and seek with your kids. Games like these are great ways to spend long summer evenings.
• Start a family tradition of an evening walk or bike ride.
Discovery Child Care offers interesting and educational before and after school programs. Call us for a tour. We'd love to meet with you and your child! 705-733-2052