During quiet time, we paired up and looked through some of the many books about the ocean we found. Our older friends helped our younger friends discover, read about, write and share some really cool facts about oceans and sea life.
Did you know…
- A whale can pick up sounds from 1000 miles away!
- The blue whale is the largest animal in the world
- Every year, male humpback whales change their songs just a little bit
- Oceans cover more than 70 percent of the earth’s surface and the largest ocean is the pacific. Dolphins can jump as high as 20 feet in the air -Squids spray ink at enemies that attack them.
- The smallest shark is the dwarf shark. It is only as long as your hand.
Our Toddlers celebrated too.
Together we mixed up some blue goop to look like the ocean. We added some fish, turtles and octopus to our ocean. One child pushed his fish through the ocean while puckering his lips ad making fish sounds. Others quickly joined him. A forth child glided his turtle through the ocean saying "glub glub"
We created ocean scenes on the outdoor easel using blue paint. We also read "Ten Friendly Fish" by Debbie Tarbett outside. The toddlers enjoyed naming many of the different animals that live in the ocean! We read it many times.
Happy World Oceans Day!!!
Discovery Child Care offers interesting and educational before and after school programs. Call us for a tour. We'd love to meet with you and your child! 705-733-2052